Thursday, November 5, 2009

I HATER PETER WHO IS MY GIRLFRIEND

Peter,

There is now a ringing sound in my ears. It never fades, it is always there. When I’m not thinking about it then I don’t hear it – but it is still there, I am just distracted. I can’t be sure exactly which loud noise or what abuse has caused it to be permanent, I can only guess at the sounds and vibrations that caused this discomfort, but I live with it now. Maybe I should have turned down the volume on my walkman, or not gone to so many nightclubs. I just wanted to be happy. But now my hearing is forever changed, I am forever needing to distract myself from the faint ringing that haunts every sound I will ever hear.

What you did is now a ringing pain in my heart. It never fades, it is always there. When I’m not thinking about it then I don’t feel it – but it is still there, I am just distracted. I can’t be sure exactly which fear or stress has caused it to be permanent, I can only guess at the mistakes and selfishness that caused this discomfort, but I live with it now. Maybe I should have toned down our relationship, or not been so supportive and selfless. I just wanted to be happy. But now my love is forever changed, I am forever needing to distract myself from the faint pain that haunts every love I will ever feel.

Peter. I tried to give you every opportunity and freedom so that we could be closer. And I am fighting the pangs of failure. How strong are we?

2 comments:

Jen said...

I love what you wrote. Its like some kind of poetry and I think its amazing.

Sarah said...

That was really beautiful. It makes so much sense to me, and my heart goes out to you. Hopefully the ringing is gone by this point though